Metropolitan Nicholas Calls On Diocesan Faithful to Assist Haiti Disaster Relief Efforts
JOHNSTOWN, PA --- In the wake of the massive devastation in the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation, His Eminence Metropolitan Nicholas, today has called on our Diocesan parishes everywhere to come to the aid of survivors of the January 12th powerful earthquake in Haiti.
His Eminence has directed pastors to announce this Sunday that a special offering be gathered in every parish of the Diocese on the following Sunday, January 24. Parish checks in the amount of your Haiti Relief Offering should be made payable to ACROD and sent to the Chancery. The Diocese will then forward one check to I.O.C.C. which will distribute the funds for "Haiti Relief". BECAUSE OF THE URGENCY OF THIS RELIEF, IT IS ASKED THAT ALL PARISH CHECK ARRIVE AT THE CHANCERY NO LATER THAN JANUARY 29.
In addition, Metropolitan Nicholas has asked that each parish put together "assistance packages" which make a huge difference when disaster strikes. Individual parishioners are encouraged to do so and bring their assistance package to their parish church. Those preparing assistance packages should carefully follow these instructions:
1. Use a one-gallon plastic bag with a zipper closure and fill it with the following items:
- one hand towel
- one washcloth
- one comb
- one metal nail file or nail clipper
- one bar of soap (bath size, new and wrapped in original packaging)
- one toothbrush (NO TOOTHPASTE)
- six band-aids
2. Collect the bags at your parish and pack them, securing the box with packing tape.
3. Clearly mark the outside of the box with Health Kit - IOCC and the number of kits enclosed. Apply correct postage and mail the box to the following address:
IOCC/CHURCH WORLD SERVICE
Brethren Service Center Annex
601 Main Street
New Windsor, MD 21776-0188
THESE ASSISTANCE PACKAGES SHOULD BE MAILED AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN.